meganishta

Ex libris de librum vermis

Stories happen only to those who are able to tell them...

Who Killed Mister Moonlight
David J. Haskins
Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers
'Alexander Osterwalder', 'Yves Pigneur'
The Complete Stories of J. G. Ballard
J.G. Ballard, Martin Amis

The Cape

The Cape - Nelson Daniel, Jason Ciaramella, Zach Howard, Joe Hill I read The Cape first in the [b:20th Century Ghosts|373915|20th Century Ghosts|Joe Hill|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388224829s/373915.jpg|1049073] (and I reread it before the comic book). It had a nice childish approach to superheroes and was close enough in setting (dead elm in the corner of the yard, room in the cellar, outside window at night...) for the suspension of disbelief to kick in and for the story to work. It had also a nice twist: main protagonist turning in antihero after discovering superpowers which made it rather enjoyable and good story.
First issue of the comic basically covers the entirety of the story. And then continues towards the duel between the protagonist and his brother, which pans down to the rather bleak black and white (should have represented ultimate, I suppose) good vs. evil showdown. Yet there are too many things that would work only if the story had been presented from the point of view of a five year old - throwing the bear from the zoo to the car in the middle of the street, crashing the plane with a chainsaw, etc... .
And had it been presented that way it would earn 5 stars easily - images are just perfect for the story (we can follow the transformation in the main character) with the coloring and framings accentuating it all the way. And it would also have a nice (though twisted) comic relief.
Unfortunately, this way it leans more towards banality.